This blog is simply the telling of one helpmeet and mother's quest to fulfill her God-ordained destiny. It is written with the hopes that other young women will embrace their calling to be godly wives and mothers; that they will be encouraged to love their husband and children and will find contentment in being keepers at home.


Sunday, November 24, 2013

"But I NEED a Dishwasher!"

Philippians 4:11

 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

But I REALLY, REALLY needed wanted a dishwasher! You see, I had three little children and was deathly ill with all-day and all-night morning sickness.  I couldn't let the house get out of control because we had church in our home and people came every Sunday and Wednesday.  We had a TON of company and I was supposed to be on bed rest due to placenta previa.  I NEEDED that dishwasher!


God did not see fit to drop a shiny, new dishwasher in my lap.  He never miraculously provided the money for me to buy one.  Thankfully, He didn't just step back and watch me languor in my discontent.  He began to deal with my covetous heart.  He showed me that He was my strength, when I was weak.  He had taken those stripes on His back so that I could be healed.  He showed me that He loved me and saw all of my efforts, but He did not give me a dishwasher. 

My Grandma Hamilton had fifteen children and she never even thought of a dishwasher.  She didn't even have hot, running water!  My mom had eight children and was deathly ill with each pregnancy, yet she has never had a dishwasher.  Yes, it's true that it seems EVERYBODY has one now-a-days, but as nice as they are they are not a necessity.

I began counting my blessings one by one:  doing dishes by hand warms you up.  (You need that when you live in Wisconsin!)  My daughters and I shared so many wonderful conversations as I washed and they dried.  There was  that moment of overwhelming satisfaction when the kitchen was all tidy. And there was the view of the first tulips peeking through the snow that could be glimpsed out the kitchen window, WHILE doing dishes.  My frenzy began to leave, little by little and before I knew it, I no longer even thought about a dishwasher. 

My sister-in-law gave me a portable dishwasher later, as payment for helping her paint her house, and guess what!  Our sand point well did not have enough water pressure to run it properly.  How ironic. 

That's been nine years ago!  I still don't have a dishwasher and it really doesn't matter to me if I ever get one.  I've learned to be content without one.


Hebrews 13:5


 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.


 

So many times this is the case in my life;  that "thing" that I just can't live without, is not really necessary.  My flesh thinks it is, but God knows that it would not be good for me.  At this point, I have a choice:  I can choose to be covetous and discontent or I can choose to make my request known to a loving Father, who knows what I really need and be content, even if His answer is "No".

I read the following quote and was struck by these words:  "For me, I'd take not that pretty thing up on top the hill. I'd take this character down here, as a real homemaker, somebody that loved me and stayed with me, somebody tried to make a home; and not bleeding you for everything, for fineries; and somebody that was with you, part of you." 


"Happiness does not consist of how much of this world's goods you own, but how contented you are with the portion that's allotted to you."




No comments: