This blog is simply the telling of one helpmeet and mother's quest to fulfill her God-ordained destiny. It is written with the hopes that other young women will embrace their calling to be godly wives and mothers; that they will be encouraged to love their husband and children and will find contentment in being keepers at home.


Friday, July 1, 2016

When Your Hands Are Too Far Away

The phone rang and with eagerness I began to chat with my married daughter who lives a thousand miles away.  She was expecting her first baby and they had just purchased their first home.  It needed a lot of work.  I could hear the exhaustion in her voice.  She was busy scrubbing greasy, kitchen cabinets so that she could paint them. 

My mama-heart longed to rush right over and help her.  I tried to think of a way that I could clear my schedule, purchase an airline ticket and come to her "rescue".  But despite all of my attempts there was no way that was going to happen. 

I sank to my knees and did the very best thing one can do in such a case.  I took her to the throne of grace asking God to give her strength and send someone to be my hands. 

That evening she sent me a text, "Mom did you go to prayer and ask God to send someone to help me?"  She explained that the sweetest, Mennonite lady had stopped in asking for a cleaning rag.  "I don't have much time, but I can scrub out a cabinet or two for you." 

We both cried tears of thankfulness that despite the miles, God had answered prayer.

Several months later they were still working on the house.  The deadline was looming and Anna had two days to paint a second coat of paint on the kitchen ceiling, paint the kitchen trim and walls and paint the master bedroom ceiling and walls.  With only six weeks left in her pregnancy, she was beyond exhaustion. 

Once again, I did my level best to rush right over and save the day, to no avail.  Joel and I discussed it and he gently reminded me that we really needed to pray.  My mom was visiting and we all gathered around the table and once again asked God to strengthen Ethan and Anna and send someone to be our hands. 

I texted Anna that we had just finished praying for them.  She replied, "I knew it!  The neighbor man stopped in offering to finish the drywall, the living room ceiling and to paint the entire living room.  He hears!  I'm sobbing.  God is so good."

So even when you can not physically do a thing, there is something far more important that you can do.  God answers prayer!

No comments: